One gospel principle Evan has really got the hang of is praying when you've lost something. And, bless his heart, Evan gives us the opportunity to pray over lost things fairly regulary. And, praise be, Heavenly Father has never let that little boy down. Day before yesterday, Evan couldn't find his current favorite toy- a pirate's flintlock pistol. He said, "Wait Mom- I've got to do something." What do you know- he folded his arms, bowed his head, closed his eyes and asked Heavenly Father to help him find his prized pistol. It was a sweet, reverent, faith-filled prayer. My heart filled with love for this trusting little boy, and that he's learned one thing we can turn to Heavenly Father about.
It just so happens that it took longer to find the pistol than it often takes us to find things we pray about. Evan's faith was waivering a bit, so it gave me a chance to talk to him about faith. We talked about how we can pray for help to have faith, and about how I had faith because of all the experiences we've had before where Heavenly Father has helped us find what we were looking for (like the tiny toy ring lost in the tall prairie grass at Nose Hill!). It was a great experience for both of us, I think. And, of course, it ended nicely when I found the gun after he'd gone to bed last night.
I realized that if he's got this lesson on prayer down, we should move forward, and get in the habbit of stopping to pray when he or I are starting to lose our temper...
2 comments:
so sweet.
I remember once when he came to a lesson and said, "Jesus helped me find my bow." You explained how he had lost his pretend bow, so you prayed about it. What a joy that he still trusts in this. I'm inspired by your story of teaching him about faith.
Post a Comment