I am a big fan of having consequences for negative behavior build greater skill and understanding. I'm not always on the ball with this, but I love how it often works out, when I am together enough to handle things this way.
One night, while Nathan was away at the conference in Banff, I had made chicken and rice for dinner. Okay, it was a little plain, but I was one tired woman. Anyhow, at dinner, Evan commented, "Mom, I hate to say it, but this dinner is boring!" So, I decided then and there that Evan would be helping me make dinner for the next two weeks.
Honestly, I thought it would be dreadful, and that he would drag his feet the whole time. Not so! The first night, we made gluten free pizza- it was fantastic! Evan was a huge help with mixing up the dough, cutting foods up into topping size bits, and spreading everything on. Even better, as we cooked together, Evan made comments like:
"I'm learning my ingredients!" "I was wrong- I though baking was hard, but I learned that it's fun and easy. And at the end. it's delicious!"
Over the next 2 weeks, Evan had so many positive things to say, about cooking, but also about himself- "I'm a good helper with cutting things!" And, come to think of it, I haven't heard any complaining about my cooking lately either! :)
1 comment:
Wow~! You're a genius! I'm going to try this with Ella... And I'm so glad that it helped you and taught him and improved his self-confidence. What a wonderful lesson. This DEFINITELY qualifies as a Proud Mommy Moment--even though you didn't specify that it was.
Post a Comment