Friday, December 19, 2008

A parting note...

So, it's all happened so fast- Evan will be starting at a different school when school resumes in January. I knew it was the right thing to do, but I was so worried about how his current teacher would feel. I worried that it might negatively impact her view of the church, or somehow complicate things for Jill and Pierce, my neice and nephew who attend Highwood. I spent a good 10 hours stewing about it, and so here is the e-mail I sent his teacher: (and as an aside- she took it great, and said she was happy for us, and that if Evan were her child she might do the same thing.)

I'm e-mailing to let you know that this will be Evan's last day at Highwood. Last March, we applied for Evan to attend Westmount Charter School. We were attracted to many things about the Westmount community, but especially the emphasis they put on helping gifted children understand their strengths and weaknesses, and work on both. We were put on a waiting list, so we decided to have Evan attend the French immersion program, feeling that the mental challenge of learning a new language would keep Evan interested and engaged. A while back, in the midst of Evan's struggles, we let Westmount know that if there was an opening at Christmas, we'd like to be considered. They called today to let us know that there's an opening. We've talked long and hard about it, and feel like that is the best thing for Evan and for our family for the long term. As you can imagine, being the parents of such a complex little guy can be amazing and overwhelming. I hope to find a network of parents that deal with some of the same issues we face. As for Evan, we feel like Westmount is a place where he may be able to blossom, academically and socially. Like we've agreed, Evan is a complex kid. Making friends may always be a difficult thing for him (though I hope not, and work to help that not be the case) but my hope is that there is an increased chance that he will find a kindred spirit to be friends with there. Westmount tries hard to foster a community of acceptance of differences. Being the "King of quirky", I suspect that Evan will need that extra acceptance as he grows.

I really, really want you to know how much we appreciate your efforts. You have worked long and hard, and spent time outside of your work day reading to find strategies to help Evan. You've been flexible and creative in implementing strategies. You've taken time to consistently communicate with me about Evan's challenges and progress. You've kept a positive and patient attitude when Evan has done frustrating things. Where appropriate, you've invited other school personnel to give ideas and support.

I feel in some ways that I am cheating you. I suspect that over time at Highwood, Evan would become an asset in the classroom, with his creative, analytical ideas. I feel that I am cheating you out of the chance to see the fruit of your hard work in helping Evan. If Evan stayed at Highwood, I think we could figure out strategies for differentiated instruction that would challenge him and keep him engaged. You've shown that you are willing and capable to do whatever it takes to help Evan succeed. By moving to Westmount, we are not giving you the opportunity to do that.

I am afraid that you will think that we are throwing away the gains we have made over the past 4 months. I really hope that is not the case. I know it will take time for Evan to settle in there. With his fear of new things, that is a setback. However, we had always aimed toward having him in a gifted immersion program (even if not until Grade 4 with the CBE), which would require a change of location. We're hoping that this will be a one-time transition. When Westmount made us aware of the opening, we let them know the challenges he's been having & they are willing to work with us. I will do my best to communicate with Evan's new teacher about the strategies we've found effective.

I will be in to bring in the treats I mentioned when we last talked. Then I will be back at pickup time to help Evan get home all of his things. I will understand if you are frustrated by our choice. I hope that you know that you'll always have a special place in my heart for your kindness to Evan.

Sincerely, Becky Ackroyd

4 comments:

Jenny said...

Your letter made me cry. As a teacher, if I ever received a letter like that from a family, I would be really touched and feel both happy about the choice they made for their child (and hopeful that it would be good for the child) and grateful that they felt I had tried and had done good things to help their child. Teachers so often hear the negative and rarely the positive. I'm glad Evan was able to get into the other school; I hope it will be very good for him and for your whole family.

A little girl in our ward started the gifted program this year in first grade. A couple of weeks into the year she told her mom that she really liked her new school/new class. Her mom asked what she liked and she said, "I'm not different anymore." I hope Evan is able to feel that way too.

I love you! We can hardly wait to see you and your family.

Cassavaugh Family said...

Becky, thanks so much for sharing this. My first thought as I completed reading and started to think of what I wanted to say was "that made me cry". But then I come to the comments and that has already been said. It is clear from your letter that you were so grateful for the time and effort made by Evan's teacher. I am glad to hear she accepted the change graciously. I agree that having been involved at the school moreso the last two years if its one thing I have recognized teachers appreciate and that is when their efforts are recognized and appreciated. In general they also appreciate parents who care and also take time to communicate. I'm excited for your new journey at the school and hope all goes well for Evan and you too. I have more to write to update you on Sam but will do so in an email.

sarah said...

Becky,
What a well-written, beautiful letter. I'm glad that Evan is going to be in a place where he will be accepted for who he is - an amazing guy with fantastic parents (who I still think about and miss your Midwestern-ness on a regular basis!)

Merry Christmas, Ackroyds!

kto1s said...

Will you write the next teacher note that I need? I'll pay ya!!!

Seriously though, perfectly worded. Sending all my love & hope for Evan that the new situation is just what he needs...