Although it wasn't funny at first, here is our family's most recent humourous happening (in Nathan's words):
"The other day I was in a meeting when the phone call arrived. I popped into my office to pick up what I needed for my next appointment, and decided that I should probably see what the red light on my phone was about.
It turns out that it was Mme. Clara, Evan's teacher. Anytime a message begins "I just want to let you know that Evan is All right..." it probably isn't going to be a message that you want to hear. She said she just had a couple of questions she wanted to ask me about Evan's health.
So, instead of going swimming, I called her back. She had called every number on our contact list, and hadn't been able to get ahold of anybody until I called. It turned out that Evan had sort of had a 'Painting accident'.
He was painting along in art-time, with the "Artiste in Residence" right beside him, when he decided that it would be fun to paint the boy beside him. This prompted the "Artiste in Residence", Mme. Linda, to cry out: "Evan, WHAT did you do THAT for??!!!"
At this point, Evan apparently had a seizure. Not a grande mal seizure, where he fell on the floor shaking. Not a petite mal seizure, where he just spaced out. More of a medium mal type thing, where he went all stiff and rolled his eyes back in his head.
He's played that game at home before, but at home, I can pick him up and carry him to the dinner table, or tickle him until he snaps out of it. I suppose his teacher can't be expected to do either of those things. At home, I can also get him to tell me, through clenched teeth, "I can't, I'm frozen."
But at school, he was committed to playing the part. He was frozen, and he was sticking it through to the end. When he wouldn't respond, Mme. Janet, the teachers aid headed for the office to get help while Mme. Clara evacuated the other children to the other side of the classroom. Then, with everyone else out of the way, she tried to talk to him again.
When she asked him if he was OK, the curtain rose on Act II. Instead of staying stiff, he collapsed against her. She slowly lowered him to the ground, gently cradling his head. (I think she mentioned that she gently cradled his head about 5 times as we talked. After all, it's important to gently cradle someone's head as they are lowered to the floor.)
So after she lowered him to the floor, gently cradling his head, he woke up, blinked and asked "Where is Mme. Janet? Did she go to the office?" Mme. Clara apparently centred on the "Where's Mme. Janet?" portion, and was convinced that he'd been out of things the whole time. I centred on the "Did she go to the office?" part, which tells me that he knew exactly what was going on the whole time.
Act III.
Mme. Clara "Evan, can you tell me what happened?
Evan "Hmm... Let me think..."
Mme. Clara "What just happened there?"
Evan "I was frozen."
Mme Clara "Has that happened to you before?"
Evan "Yes, when I took candy and hid it under my bed."
Mme. Clara (aside) "I think I need to call his parents to find out more about this."
So, yes, that is my son, the frozen boy. I don't think he ever did have to answer for painting on that other boy's face...
It turns out that it was Mme. Clara, Evan's teacher. Anytime a message begins "I just want to let you know that Evan is All right..." it probably isn't going to be a message that you want to hear. She said she just had a couple of questions she wanted to ask me about Evan's health.
So, instead of going swimming, I called her back. She had called every number on our contact list, and hadn't been able to get ahold of anybody until I called. It turned out that Evan had sort of had a 'Painting accident'.
He was painting along in art-time, with the "Artiste in Residence" right beside him, when he decided that it would be fun to paint the boy beside him. This prompted the "Artiste in Residence", Mme. Linda, to cry out: "Evan, WHAT did you do THAT for??!!!"
At this point, Evan apparently had a seizure. Not a grande mal seizure, where he fell on the floor shaking. Not a petite mal seizure, where he just spaced out. More of a medium mal type thing, where he went all stiff and rolled his eyes back in his head.
He's played that game at home before, but at home, I can pick him up and carry him to the dinner table, or tickle him until he snaps out of it. I suppose his teacher can't be expected to do either of those things. At home, I can also get him to tell me, through clenched teeth, "I can't, I'm frozen."
But at school, he was committed to playing the part. He was frozen, and he was sticking it through to the end. When he wouldn't respond, Mme. Janet, the teachers aid headed for the office to get help while Mme. Clara evacuated the other children to the other side of the classroom. Then, with everyone else out of the way, she tried to talk to him again.
When she asked him if he was OK, the curtain rose on Act II. Instead of staying stiff, he collapsed against her. She slowly lowered him to the ground, gently cradling his head. (I think she mentioned that she gently cradled his head about 5 times as we talked. After all, it's important to gently cradle someone's head as they are lowered to the floor.)
So after she lowered him to the floor, gently cradling his head, he woke up, blinked and asked "Where is Mme. Janet? Did she go to the office?" Mme. Clara apparently centred on the "Where's Mme. Janet?" portion, and was convinced that he'd been out of things the whole time. I centred on the "Did she go to the office?" part, which tells me that he knew exactly what was going on the whole time.
Act III.
Mme. Clara "Evan, can you tell me what happened?
Evan "Hmm... Let me think..."
Mme. Clara "What just happened there?"
Evan "I was frozen."
Mme Clara "Has that happened to you before?"
Evan "Yes, when I took candy and hid it under my bed."
Mme. Clara (aside) "I think I need to call his parents to find out more about this."
So, yes, that is my son, the frozen boy. I don't think he ever did have to answer for painting on that other boy's face...
3 comments:
oh boy!! i'm sorry.
It was all Allen could do on Tuesday night when we were at the Christmas concert to not roll his eyes into the back of his head and freeze when he walked past Mme Clara. He was hoping to see if she'd cradle his head too. :0) Must be a family thing. LOL
Evan is a GENIUS!
Post a Comment