
I once read in a child-rearing book that a key to having happy satisfied children is to let them have more and more control as they get older. Hence, they suggested starting off tiny children with few choices, so that you can gradually turn over more control as they grow. Sounds ok, right?
Unfortunately, the book seemed to indicate if you started of with the child in control, and have to gradually rein them in, you're finished- that there's no real coming back from a bad start.
Whoops! Evan was such an bright, energetic little guy and I so new at parenting & unsure of what realistic expectations should be-well, let's just say we've had to reign him in over time. The infamous book author was right- that's never made him "happy". Has it been good? I think so.
Which leads to an interesting thing Evan proclaimed lately, which reminded me of some of the reigning in Evan's undergone:
"I am the KING-the KING! I am the RULER of the HOUSEHOLD! I am... your helper."
Seems like it'll all turn out.
(Photo courtesy Lifetouch photography. I liked his school pics this year, so I bought the CD. :) )
2 comments:
Your helper sure is a handsome boy!
...and so grown up! Wow!
Post a Comment