After years and years of toileting issues (and scores of times hearing "He's just a boy, he'll grow out of it.), today Evan saw a pediatrician that specializes in such matters. It was a 2 hour long appt, complete with sonograms, measuring of "voiding" volume, and 6 pages of questionaires that we'd filled out in advance. To make a long story short- the average 5 year old has a bladder capacity of about 250ml. Evan's bladder capacity is roughly 100ml. So, as the doctor said "Not normal, but not rare".
I must say, that I am so happy! Not about his small capacity, but that all along I have wondered (and sometimes worried) that there was something really wrong with his urinary tract system. And, for so long, I seemed to be the only one who was concerned. I'm glad to know for sure that some of the serious problems that had occasionally crossed my mind, aren't there. I'm also glad to know that, bless his little heart, he's not just lazy or absent minded about using the toilet (although I'm sure there's a touch of that too.) but that he really just cannot hold very much, for very long.
So, what's the future like for such a small bladder? The doctor says there's a chance that if Evan uses the toilet frequently, keeping his bladder emptier will allow the muscles controlling his bladder to relax more, which may allow his bladder to enlarge. Wish us luck!
I must say, that I am so happy! Not about his small capacity, but that all along I have wondered (and sometimes worried) that there was something really wrong with his urinary tract system. And, for so long, I seemed to be the only one who was concerned. I'm glad to know for sure that some of the serious problems that had occasionally crossed my mind, aren't there. I'm also glad to know that, bless his little heart, he's not just lazy or absent minded about using the toilet (although I'm sure there's a touch of that too.) but that he really just cannot hold very much, for very long.
So, what's the future like for such a small bladder? The doctor says there's a chance that if Evan uses the toilet frequently, keeping his bladder emptier will allow the muscles controlling his bladder to relax more, which may allow his bladder to enlarge. Wish us luck!
1 comment:
Ahhh, isn't it nice to find answers to things that make us scratch our heads. More from me on this exact topic will be forthcoming in an email. Thanks for posting!
Post a Comment