Monday, November 9, 2009

A few meaningful quotes from the past week...

So much of my role as Evan's mom is seeing what he is capable of, and finding ways to pave the way for it to happen. These quotes really spoke to my soul, as I've come across them this week:

"Every member of the Church is important to us. Indeed, every person- member or not-is important to us, but surely among the most significant of all our responsibilities is the responsibility to protect and nurture the children of the Church... We care so much about you and about the children you are teaching. Prepare well to bless these little ones. Give it your best effort. Your influence will, quite literally, affect these children for eternity. Enjoy the assignment that you have, and discharge it faithfully... However much we love and admire children, I am certain we underestimate who and what a child is and what in the hands of God he or she may become. May God bless you always in your sacred opportunity to help save the children of this Church."
-Elder Jeffrey R. Holland

"Never forget that these little ones are the sons and daughters of God and that yours is a custodial relationship to them, that He was a parent before you were parents and that He has not relinquished His parental rights of interest in these His little ones... Rear your children in love, in the nurture and admonition of the Lord. Take care of your little ones. Welcome them into your homes, and nurture and love them with all of your hearts. They may do, in the years that come, some things you would not want them to do, but be patient, be patient. You have not failed as long as you have tried."
-President Gordon B Hinkley

2 comments:

Dawn said...

Allen and I went to a wedding once (and I wish I could remember whose it was!) and the sealer talked about his daughter. He said that she fasted weekly for herself in her role as a mother. It really struck me....sometimes we work so hard on our church callings and jobs...and forget the one to work hardest on is being a mom! Thanks for the reminder.

Annie said...

Thank you! I needed to read that today. You are such a good example at following this counsel!