You are the trip I did not take;
You are the pearls I cannot buy;
You are my blue Italian lake;
You are my piece of foreign sky.
(by Anne Campbell)
Tonight has been a rough night. As I lay in bed, my thoughts ended up turning to Evan. We have spent a small fortune on therapy/screenings/dietary modifications for him this year. Well, maybe not so small of a fortune. It's actually taken up pretty much every spare dollar we've had, not to mention a huge amount of time and energy.
It was our 10 year anniversary just over a week ago. Some people celebrate their 10 year anniversaries with trip or cruises. Ours was a pretty quiet one, with a precious few hours spent together reminiscing and enjoying each others company.
If I had it to do all over again, I wouldn't change it- Most every day, I see a happier boy- who has better social skills, attention span, impulse control... I am really, truly pleased with how far we've come just since January. But just that small part of me grieves that it's not just about me-or Nathan and I- any more. As I lay in bed, my mind flashes back and forth to a number of times that I've felt jealous lately. I am fairly good these days at not being judgemental. I am not so good at not being jealous. I do try to remind myself, of all we are blessed with-that if I could see others challenges as clearly as I can see their cutes houses, or vacation photos, I wouldn't feed jealous. We have infinitely more joy-and growth- than we would have without our amazing kids. I think the effort and money we are investing in Evan now is likely to save all of us years of struggle and grief.
So, after writing this, I feel more at peace with how things are, what lies yet to do.
Poem by
(“To My Child,” quoted in Charles L. Wallis, ed., The Treasure Chest [1965], 54)
4 comments:
i love you! wish you could have gone on a great vacation and helped evan! :) but you're right, all of us have challenges and it is so much easier to see our own than others. i think it's pretty common to feel jealous of others. i sure love you!!!!
I like it when I find myself thinking about you guys up North. I am so impressed with all you do for your kids, your main Pirate in particular. Your an amazing mom and you and Nathan (as always) make one great team.
Plus, you're all just so durn cute...
I love this post. It says so much. I just have to share that we had big plans for our 10th but we were in Champaign in grad school. When 15 yrs rolled around we were STILL in Champaign. I'm not holding my breath for 20 yrs either. It is only 2 yrs away and well there are other things on the list with higher priority. It is hard not to compare - it is not a strength of mine to not notice others. Heavy sigh.
Post a Comment