Thursday, April 23, 2009

The Uni Diet and Baking up a Storm

Yesterday Miss Sarah and I made a quadruple batch of sorghum/arrowroot muffins while Evan was at school and Hannah was napping. (I figured out that the funny smell that I've noticed at one of our local heath food stores must be arrowroot.)
Sarah and I have a good time baking together- and it's a good thing! Lately, I read Dr Mandell's "The 5 Day Allergy Reduction Diet", which is all about the benefits of a 'rotation diet' for people with food allergies and sensitivities. The book deserves a post of its own, but suffice it to say that Dr Mandell's plan calls for only eating any given food one day out of every five. Have potatoes on Sunday? No more potatoes until Friday. Have Quinoa waffles on Monday? No more quinoa until Saturday, etc. It's taken about a month or two for us to slowly adjust our meal plans and eating habits to reflect this.
Why bother? The idea is at least two fold: if you are frequently eating a food, it's difficult to tell if you have a mild or atypical allergy response to it. Not eating a food for 5 days gives your body a rest from it, and lets you see how your body reacts when you do eat it...

It's a fascinating idea, and Evan's teacher said that she's noticed an improvement this week in his attention and listening skills. I'll post more soon-right now I've got to go figure out a snack that my kids haven't eaten in the past 5 days!
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Interesting. That sounds like a great idea, but tough to follow through. You guys are so amazing. I'm glad that it seems to be helping Evan.