Monday, July 28, 2008

If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

I think I'm learning something about babies this time around (Well, at least about baby H... who knows if this is really true with other babies...). When Evan and Sarah were babies, neither of them really took to pacifiers, so we didn't push it. When I tried putting Evan in a Snugli (front carrier) as a newborn, he DID NOT like it. I never tried again. Sarah, on the other hand, loved being in the Baby Bjorn(another brand of front carrier), and practically lived in there. (In fact, I don't think we knew any other way to get her to sleep the first few months of her life.) Before Hannah was born, I was hoping that she'd be a placid third child, happy to hang out in her carseat (I've decided we have the wrong genes to produce a placid child). Then, it turned out she wasn't. So then, I hoped she would like being in the Baby Bjorn. Not so! As I was despairing, and picturing doing everything one handed for the next few months, Nathan encouraged me to not give up. First he got Hannah to fall asleep on his shoulder, then once asleep, shifted her into the Baby Bjorn he'd put on. Success! She slept for 1.5 hours! It took a few more tries, but now she generally likes the Bjorn, and settles down pretty quickly once she's in it.
Hannah doesn't seem to LOVE the pacifier, but with repeated effort, we can get her to use it a little bit each day, which helps. The first time we put her in the baby swing, at a few days old, she startled and cried. When Nathan suggested we try it again...
So, now I can't help but wonder about all of the things my previous babies "didn't like". Would it have been different if I'd known better ways to introduce them, and if I'd known not to give up? I guess we'll never know, but I have my guess!

1 comment:

Jenny said...

I read recently in a parenting magazine that if your baby won't take a pacifier to keep offering it. But when you do to kind of try to pull it out of her mouth and repeat this several times. Supposedly it's supposed to help their sucking reflex and/or make them more interested in the pacifier. I don't know if it would work, but it might be worth a try. I'm sure that with some things if you keep trying, they will learn to like or at least tolerate them and other things probably not.