Sunday, October 4, 2009

The Good, the bad, & the ugly

With Evan around, life is always interesting. He is such a mixture of highs and lows. Here are some notables from the past week.

-The Good-
Evan is so, so happy at school this year. I pick him up 4 afternoons a week. We are often the last of his classmates to leave, because he is so busy saying goodbye to friends, and teachers that we pass in the hall. Sure, he is off-task, but at least he's off task in a socially beneficial way!

He has such a good heart, which I get to see more of all of the time. After conference today, Nathan baked just a handful of cookies, with a little bit of leftover cookie dough we had. He gave Evan and Sarah each a cookie. Evan had had a rough afternoon, so without saying anything, Nathan gave Evan another cookie when his first was finished. Evan asked, "Is that the last cookie?" When Nathan said "yes," Evan immediately broke his cookie in half and gave half to Sarah.

-The Bad-
On Tuesday, we took Evan and Sarah for their regular dentist visits. Evan had his first cavity. I have to admit that I feel like a failure. Evan's molars are REALLY tightly spaced, so I suppose it could be MUCH worse, but I can't help but think that I slacked off too much while we were traveling this summer.

-The Ugly-
So Evan got sent to the principals office for the first time on Wednesday. He and a bunch of his little first grade friends were playing during recess. It was a rousing game of, as Evan called it, "Get 'em back for stealing our rubber chicken!" (the school has rubber chickens in with their balls, frisbees, etc). They got carried away, and Evan and another little boy ended up throwing sand at one of the other boys. Even worse, the sand got into the eyes of said little boy. So, to the principal they went. They were lectured, missed library time, etc. From what I hear, Evan took it pretty hard. (Which is good, under the circumstances). Just for good measure, I added a few other consequences when he got home.
So here's hoping that things were memorable enough that he'll reign himself in before flinging sand again

3 comments:

Annie said...

That cookie part is so sweet! I remember him as a very special little boy too!

Becky said...

Thanks, Annie!

Jenny said...

He is so sweet. Probably good that he was sent to the principal's office--to let him know it was serious, but it could have been much worse! Don't feel too bad about it.

And how sweet of him to share his cookie with Sarah! We love you all!