One of my strengths, and one of my weaknesses, is that I tend to be indecisive about some things- especially parenting. Sound bytes from people I respect, and good books reems to rattle in my brain and vye for attention:
"Start as you mean to go on."
"Never say no if you can possibly say yes"
"Make sure they know you mean business"
"When they are good, give them the world. When they are bad, make their lives really miserable.."
"You've got to be consistent..."
"If what you're doing doesn't work, try something else."
"
It goes on and on...Sometimes I think that maybe I'd be a better parent if I was more confident about my parenting tenets. I see people who spend far less time gathering information and attempting to be an ideal parent, whose kids seem to be so much better behaved than mine.
But then, they are different kids...
I feel some pressure these days to be harsher with Evan when he disobeys. Tonight wasn't a stellar night, and I find myself contemplating what behaviors of Evan's might respond to more severe punishment. With some behaviors I wonder if, as one book suggests, Evan is pushing the limits to find out where they are. With some other things he got in trouble for, it seems standard 5 year old boy stuff.
I was yelled at, and occassionally spanked as a kid, and I'd like to avoid that kind of discipline...
1 comment:
It really is so hard to find that line of sticking to your guns and sometimes feeling too mean vs "the fun mom" and being a push-over. We're in a serious business here, folks!!
I have every confidence that you are doing it BEAUTIFULLY, because that is how you've done everything else in your life, Becky. WE have steallar moments, and not so stellar moments, but we keeping plugging along and trying harder.
By the way, was laughing out loud at some of the fun quotes form your kids on the side!
Post a Comment