Sunday, January 23, 2011

Tooting (our own horn)

In one more week, it will have been a year since the bishop challenged everyone at church to read the whole Book of Mormon in 365 days.
We'd always been great about reading illustrated scripture stories (from the Bible and the Book of Mormon) with our kids. I was really pleased with how many scripture stories they knew, and it was a system that worked well for us. When the bishop issued this challenge, I'll admit, I figured that Nathan and I could read the Book of Mormon together in a year, but that our kids (7, 4, & 1.5 yrs old) were just too wiggly, and that it would never work for us. (And believe me- my kids are as wiggly as they come) Nathan thought we should go for it, so I dragged my feet & went along with it. (Not my best moment, I'll admit).

So, fast forward one year:
Sure we have had lots of nights where the kids DIDN'T settle down, and were just too rowdy to listen. But, as the year has gone on, we've had so many nights where they WERE listening. And asking questions. And remembering BIG words, and complicated story lines. For every crazy night, where it was all Nathan and I could do to be patient, there was another night where I could tell that E & S were learning the truths taught in the Book of Mormon.

So, tonight, with just 6 chapters left to read (before we start all over again :})- I'm grateful-for a bishop who was inspired to invite us to invite more of the word of God into our lives, for a husband who had the faith and determination to heed the counsel of our bishop, and for the blessing of having the word of God in our home.

2 comments:

Annie said...

That is so neat! We just started that in our family and your story gives me hope! :)

Bryan and Ellie said...

So impressive! Way to stick with it!