It's 7:45pm. Nathan is at a meeting and all three kids are asleep. I'm glad that I have a quiet night ahead of me. I hadn't known going into the appointment, but today was Diagnosis Day with Evan's psychologist. In the 5 or so visits we've had previously, we looked at how Evan's attention is affected by learning style, food sensitivities, personality type, and other factors. We were trained in (and have been using- more on that in a different post!) a "moderated learning" program to work on Evan's problem behaviors and build self control. I couldn't be more pleased with how wholistic our psychologist is-looking at all the factors that play a role in Evan's attention skills, seeing what behaviors are resolved as he builds self control, trying supplements... I'm glad that we've worked through each of these things step by step, and how it's provided me with the chance to work through my feelings and prepare for today's diagnosis: ADHD.
At this point, I am not at all surprised that Evan is now officially diagnosed as having ADHD. I've been reading a lot lately, and have been watching Evan pretty closely the past two months (and reasonably closely the past 6 years...). In a way, I am really relieved and validated. Parenting Evan has been really wonderful, and REALLY challenging. I've searched and struggled and failed in ways that exceed the normal difficulties I've faced with my other kids. I've known for a long time that Evan is a wonderful, complicated package. I don't need outside confirmation to believe it, but I do appreciate it. I like to seem like I "have it together", and I've been constantly humbled as my best efforts and ceaseless reading and applying the best parenting wisdom I can find, haven't yielded the results that other people I know have seen. (I know parenting is humbling for all of us...)
I'm grateful that I had time to work through my conflicted feelings about a diagnosis of ADD or ADHD. Today while at the psychologists office, I remembered a time when, as a child, my parents were talking about a church classmate of mine who was on Ritalin. The impression that I got was Ritalin was horrible, addictive, even a killer-and my classmate would be lucky to live to enter his adulthood. (Well, I guess that was two decades ago-we know a bit more about side effects and long term usage now) Over the past two months, I've thought of the whispers of other primary leaders I've worked with- "Oh, well he/she has ADD," and the insinuations I've heard in their tone of voice. I've thought of the parents of ADD kids- those who seemed, to me, a bit too militant about furthering the interests of their child- and those who I thought didn't do enough. I've thought of the times in my life when I felt that Americans are over diagnosed and over medicated- that what we need is more rules and more discipline- not more excuses.
After all of my thinking, I've come to the conclusion that one way or another, Evan is being labeled. The labels range from "Sooo smart!" to "too smart for his own good" to "impulsive" and so on. So, I've decided that (hopefully) it will be to his overall advantage to have certain people know that he is a boy who's body and mind are racing.
So what about medication? That's another front on which I feel grateful. Dr. Scholten reccommends using a medication trial method where the individual is started on a very small dose of meds. Each day a chart is filled out that tracks where the child is in different parameters of attention and if any side effects are being observed. The dose is slowly increased
TBC...
7 comments:
Becky, you've always been a great student and one who loves to study. I am always impressed by your throughoughness and your knowledge. I know that labels aren't always your favorite thing (nor mine) but please don't be offended when I say (and have said) you really are a terrific mother.
May I also add, I am happy you guys have a phsychologist you are please with.
(sorry to end with a preposition!)
Now there's a diagnosis I never would have guessed....since so often Evan gets so focused on certain things. But then again, I can see some characteristics.
I have a friend whose son does vision therapy for his ADHD rather than medication. I'll have to ask her about it some more. :0)
Sounds like this doctor has been a help. I'm glad! Keep the faith my dear SIL!! You're amazing.
What a wonderful post. I mean I am impressed with how well you were able to express your conflicting emotions. I can see how labels can be both a help and a hindrance. Often, as I work with students, knowing what is "wrong" can help me be more understanding and find better ways to help that child. But at the same time, you do have to be careful to not put kids in a box and think that the label defines the child. (or the adult for that matter!) You are amazing. Keep being such a great mom.
I'm glad your psychologist is so good. As far as meds go, I do think that in some cases they are overused. But I have also seen them make huge differences for some individual kids. If you get the right med with the right dose, sometimes they can be a real blessing.
note.from.michelle
.love.you.i.miss.you.
I REALLY appreciate your positive comments on this one. I find my feelings about the whole thing shifting frequently. Just when I think I've got a handle on what I think, something else crosses my mind and I'm not at all certain any more.
Anyway, thank you for "being there" when I need it!
fyi...the note from michelle really was a note from michelle, typed by her with only a teeny help from me.
Becky, I'm slowly catching up on some blog reading I have not been able to do in awhile. Thank you for posting. I can understand your mixed feelings about a label. I have had a few people kind of gasp at the idea that we are letting the school pursue the idea that Sam may in fact have Autism Spectrum Disorder. It would in fact be a label and that is what some others seem to react to. Although I feel like there are some unknowns about this label and what kind of other challenges are ahead I am feeling very relieved to think that we might be actually heading to diagnosis that lead us to solutions to really help him better. We probably won't learn until end of April the total evaluation. But know that I have really been thinking of you and how great a mom you are and wonderful example you have been to me! We love Evan and look forward to hearing how things are progressing through this next process you are heading into.
Post a Comment